Stripe

Friday, May 16, 2008

Mommy and Daddy

Yes, they were and always will be "Mommy and Daddy". When I was in Houston playing Sheree and going to play-groups and what not, McKell and I had lots of time to talk. She asked about the family and on more occasions than one I found myself talking about how great my parents were and it made me realize just how little I brag about my parents. I shared with her how my parents seem to be more in love than ever and how my mom and I finally have the relationship that I have always wanted with her, but was too stubborn to admit it. It almost made me tear up when I was talking to McKell about my parents because I think I have finally grown up enough to realize just how much I love them, but mostly how much they love me. Growing up, my parents always said I love you and were full of hugs and bedtime songs and tuck-ins. I remember cousins and friends asking why my Dad would come in each night, tuck me in and tell me that he loved me. I remember being slow to respond because I thought every parent and Dad did that. It was normal to me. But the more I interact with children, the more I realize that that is not the case at all. How thankful I am for parents that tucked me in each night (even in high school) and for parents that scolded me and then five minutes later returned to tell me just how much they love me. How thankful I am for a dad who loves my mom more than anything in the world and for a mom who worships and loves my dad in return. For me, being the youngest wasn't always easy. When I began high school I was on my own with my parents. Sheree and Trevor had both gone off and gotten married and started lives of their own and I was stuck with "them" or so I thought. I remember complaining to everyone that would listen how hard it was to live with them. What would I give to go back?! I am so thankful for those years alone with my parents because I really believe that we went through things and grew up together which has made us closer than ever! I want my parents and the world to know just how much I love my them and how thankful I am for all that they do. I don't think that I will fully understand how much love they have for me until I have children of my own. I love you Mommy and Daddy!

2 comments:

The Nixon Family said...

I LOVE YOU TOO MOM AND DAD! They are the best! It's nice to finally be a friend, and not only a daughter, huh!? Love you!

JP said...

Hope you don't think it's weird for me to comment on your blog but here goes (I stumbled here by hitting "next blog" on the top bar. It was great to read your thoughts on your parents and the time they spent with you as a child. As a parent of young children it was refreshing to read that things like getting tucked in and sung to really do matter. We do this with our children almost every night and at times when I'm tired and want to make it quick, I'll remember your thoughts. Thanks!