Stripe

Friday, May 16, 2008

Real World

All my life I have heard my mother talk about the "real world". She would say things like..."just wait" and "one day you'll understand". Apparently all this understanding and waiting would be complete when I entered the "real world". And my favorite story of all is when Sheree got married and everyone at the shower signed a book giving her advice and an occasional how to and my mother's read: Enjoy it now because soon you'll be back in the "real world". I think this real world my mom always talked about was a world in which she and my dad couldn't fix everything and do everything for us. Even though I don't think I have reached full "real world" status, I understand a little more about this "real world" my mom tried to warn me about and embrace, especially when the first of the month comes and all our money goes who knows where! And apparently in the real world, you pay to have a roof over your head and your money goes to places like cell phone bills, groceries, utilities, car insurance, health insurance, GAS, and then when things go wrong there is always light bulbs, batteries, shower rods and the list goes on. When I was living at home with my cozy little room and loft, I didn't realize that I was sleeping on a mattress that cost at least $650 and those dressers that I put my clothes in...yeah, there's another $599 and that cute little chair Ronda made...$899. And then when my room was giving me a bore there was always the loft where I sat my cute little butt on a $900 sleeper sofa and the foot rests/ ottomans....another $400. And then the TV and armoire, $1500. These are all wonderful things I have learned since entering into the "real world", and frankly I don't appreciate it. Nate and I recently bought a mattress that Nate tells me will be a lifetime investment. We got it at RC Willey and after we made the purchase, I sat in the car and started sobbing because we just spent half of our total net worth on a freakin' mattress! And then I began suggesting other options...."Nate, I don't need a mattress, we can sleep on the floor or maybe we can just sleep on our foam covers, etc." Desperate times cause for desperate measures. And anyone that knows me understands what mental state I must have been under to make such a suggestion! And the saddest part of this whole sob story is that I know it is only the beginning. Well, until the next "real world" hits...peace and love.

2 comments:

The Nixon Family said...

You are hysterical!!! You have a great place, be thankful it is not the ghetto! It'll be nice when you have a paycheck so just hold on until then. You make me laugh. Oh, and don't forget to budget in kiddos b/c that gets pretty pricey too! But, the "real world" is still a pretty good place!

Chelsea said...

lin, you are too funny. being an adult sucks, huh. insurance is the worst. it feels like you are just flushing hundreds of dollars down the drain! not to worry, you'll get used to it!