Stripe

Monday, August 25, 2008

Extreme Desk Makeover


My beautiful new desk!

Drawers on desk. Notice the crackle!

Top of the desk. Just wanted you to get a good look :)

This past week we inherited a desk that I had been pondering over how to make cute! I had an image in my head of what the end result could look like, but I just didn't know how to get there. So Nate and I went to Lowes and literally spent two hours debating which stain, paint color, etc. to go with. We finally decided on a Faux finish. We first had to sand the desk down next to nothing and prime it. Then I painted it black and put a crackle glaze on top and let it dry for a day. The crackle glaze is suppose to show through once you put your top coat on. Then I painted over the glaze with a cream color and instantly the paint started separating allowing the black paint to show, creating a weathered, antique, vintage looking desk! I really love it, so even if you don't....just lie! Here are some pics!

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Really cute, nice work.
PS- I saw Emma's name too... I got a little to excited about it!

The Nixon Family said...

so cute. you have inspired me to do the same to old items. hmmmmm. miss you tons.

Quinn & Dani Gooch said...

Linley you are my idol!! I wish I was as talented as you. Well, so far no luck with finding a sub for Sunday...dang it! I will call you tonight and we can figure out what we want to do!!

Darren + Janessa said...

impressive.. looks way good! so how are you guys? i never got a chance to talk to you when you were down!

Halvos said...

What a fun project! Looks great!

cheri said...

I'm so impressed! who needs Rhonda when you are Linley!..you need to go on the mckenzie childs site and look at their hugely funky chairs..You made crackling look so easy, I'm seeing some really crazy painting in your future! :) xoxo Cheri